Scottish Chamber Orchestra - The Great C major
Begin 2013 in the company of two brilliant and charismatic young artists. David Afkham’s awards, prizes and plaudits make impressive reading: he has captured the attention of musicians and public alike, and makes his SCO debut with a typically ambitious bill. Schubert’s ‘Great C major’ is not for the faint-hearted; for most of the 19th century it was considered unperformable. Now a firmly established favourite, it remains an epic musical journey.
Franscesco Piemontesi, a pianist as charming as he is formidable, returns to the SCO, in a performance of Mendelssohn's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No1.
- Coriolan Overture
- Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
- Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No 1 in G minor
- Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847)
- Symphony No 9 in C, 'Great'
- Franz Schubert (1797-1828)