The BBC Proms has launched its annual Inspire Young Composers’ Competition which is this year to be judged by a panel of composers including Fraser Trainer, Stuart MacRae, Anna Meredith, Peter Weigold and Nico Muhly.
The competition, now in its 14th year, is open to anyone in the UK aged between 12 and 18 and the winning compositions will be performed at the the Proms and broadcast on Radio 3. The winning composers will also be commissioned to write a piece to be performed in 2013.
While the competition is running, Composer Labs will take place across the UK, offering young composers the opportunity to work with professional composers and musicians from the BBC orchestras.
George Rimmer, one of the winners of the 2011 competition, said: ‘Hearing my piece played by professional musicians has been the best experience of my life so far’.
In addition there will be an Inspire Day on 4 August 2012 for all entrants at the Royal College of Music to meet leading composers and figures from the music industry.
To sign up for one of the Composer Labs go to the Proms website. Information about how to enter the 2012 Inspire Competition is outlined below.
Entries must be sent by post to:
BBC Proms Inspire Young Composers’ Competition, PO BOX 105, Rochester, Kent ME2 4BE.
· Entries must include two identical CD recordings of the piece along with two copies of EITHER:
– A notated, graphic or tabbed score.
– A written description.
· A completed entry form (which can be downloaded from bbc.co.uk/proms) must also be included.
· Entries should last no longer than 5 minutes and scores or written descriptions should be submitted on single-sided A4 paper, unbound and in a clear plastic folder.
· There are no restrictions on instrumentation, which may include acoustic and/or electronic instruments and computer-generated sounds. Recordings can be taken directly from notation software packages or sequencing software or can be live recordings of your work. Entries cannot be returned, so please remember to keep a copy.
· Entrants may enter only one composition and it must be entirely their own work.
· Entries composed with someone else will not be accepted.
· Entry forms are available from bbc.co.uk/proms, by calling 020 7765 0643 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
· The deadline for entries is 28 May 2012. Any entries received after this date will not be entered in the competition.
For full rules, terms and conditions please visit bbc.co.uk/proms