Opera and theatre director Daniel Kramer has been appointed artistic director of English National Opera. He will take up the role in August 2016.
The American director has worked with the company since 2008, when he directed a production of Harrison Birtwistle's Punch and Judy as a member of ENO's young director scheme.
'I am honoured to join this wonderful company' says Kramer. 'My intention is to champion this family [ENO] and to inspire audiences night after night... We are here to play and sing for you.'
ENO have been without an artistic director since John Berry resigned in July 2015, after over 20 years in the role. Kramer's appointment comes shortly after the resignation of music director Mark Wigglesworth, and in the wake of a lengthy dispute between management and ENO chorus over a change to the chorus contracts.
This story is being updated.
More ENO news
- ENO chief executive to step down at the end of 2013
- ENO announces joint recipients of Charles Mackerras Fellowship
- ENO Breathe: how the English National Opera helped Covid-19 sufferers find their breath
- Stuart Skelton in ENO's Peter Grimes
- Operas by contemporary composers take centre stage at ENO
- ENO announces Charles Mackerras conducting fellowship